A calorie is a unit of energy. Most foods and beverages contain calories.
To lose weight you need to:
- Eat and drink fewer calories
- Increase physical activity
- Combine the two for the best results
The foods you eat and the beverages you drink provide energy and nutrients. The basic required nutrients are water, carbohydrates, proteins, fats, dietary fibers, vitamins, and minerals. Carbohydrates, proteins, and fats provide energy in the form of calories. Alcohol (beer, wine, liquor) adds calories without providing nutrition.
When you take in more calories than you use, you gain weight.
The Energy Balance
The calories you do not use are stored as body fat. This is true whether these calories came from fats, carbohydrates, proteins, or alcohol.
Lose more calories by increasing physical activity. Manage your weight by balancing what you eat and drink with how active you are. Maintain by balancing. Tip the scale to lose or gain!
|Starting Weight||Daily Calorie Goal|
|Under 200 pounds||1,200 – 1,500 calories/day|
|200 – 225 pounds||1,500 – 1,800 calories/day|
|226 – 250 pounds||1,800 – 2,000 calories/day|
|251 – 300 pounds||2,000 – 2,500 calories/day|
|301 – 350 pounds||2,500 – 3,000 calories/day|
|Over 350 pounds||See a Dietitian!|
How do you lose weight?
- Set your daily calorie goal using the table above.
- Find your current weight in the left column. Your daily calorie goal for that weight range is listed in the right column. These calorie goals are designed to help you lose about 1⁄2 to 2 pounds per week.
- Expect better results if you use the lower number from the daily calorie goal in the table.
- Use a book or online calorie counter to accurately track your calories.
- When you make it to the next weight range (for instance, you start at 280 pounds and you now weigh 245 pounds), you will need to reduce your daily calorie goal to that lower level.
- If you weigh over 350 pounds or have diet concerns, talk with the dietitian to help set your daily calorie goal.
- Review your Daily Food and Physical Activity Diary. Celebrate successful days. On days when goals were not met, think about what got in the way and consider solutions.
- Remember, you need to have clear, daily calorie and physical activity goals to lose weight.
Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.
The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers.
By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.
Are you super busy but need to take control of your health? Are you tired of being tired? Subscribe to my “Minimize Medications, Maximize Health Blog” and I’ll give you 7 Tips to Get Healthy in No Time absolutely FREE.